Manage episode 296877884 series 2901614
In this episode, I have the pleasure of talking to Kim McCabe, author of ‘From Daughter to Woman’ a guide to parenting girls safely through their teens.
Kim is a child development expert and founder-director of the non-profit organisation Rites for Girls.
She studied psychology at Cambridge University, before training as a counsellor for distressed teens and has spent thirty years working preventatively to make girls’ journey through adolescence safer, kinder and better supported.
A mother of three, Kim believes we can each make a difference; by creating community and circles of support, with adults taking responsibility for guiding tomorrow’s women, a grounded revolution changing the world for everyone.
Join Kim and me as we discuss:-
- The importance of the puberty rite of passage if we went to have happy, healthy young adults join our adult communities and the impact of not recognising this importance of this critical stage of life.
- Why we should be asking our young girls what they think about becoming women and listening to their answers.
- Why so many young girls don’t name their mothers as future role models and what we can do about that.
- Children don’t do what we say, they do what we do.
- Menarche, Pregnancy, Menopause - the three stages in a woman’s life where she is called into action.
- Introducing the gift of the menstrual cycle to our girls to educate them and so alleviate any nervousness they may have around starting their periods.
- Our culture doesn’t honour the cycle, but if we can menstruate well and have healthy and happy cycles we will enter into Menopause in a healthier way
- Menopause and raising children.
- Consent. Why we need to teach our children to trust their feelings and their instinct rather than their thoughts and how this can help to keep them safe.
- The increase in anxiety amongst young girls and how that shows up in their behaviour.
- Why as adults we should not be ignoring feelings of unhappiness and what happens when we do.
- Our cycle Post Menopause.
- As a mother how you can co-create a Rite of Passage with your daughter
- Creating a ‘village’ - the importance of adults in a young person’s life
Kim's book choice - The Happy Manifesto - by Henry Stewart
Find out how you can work with me, my coaching and education, and get your free Menopause Symptom tracker at www.themerrymenopause.com