Manage episode 56666682 series 7999
Another two week break, mainly because there wasn’t a ton to talk about. But at least this week we’re getting ready for the fall season:
- First we talked about how we haven’t watched many of this year’s pilots; we’re looking to experience them the way a “normal” viewer does, not the 3-4 times critics do by the time the pilot airs (3:45 – 13:20),
- Then we talk about the sad news of Joan Rivers’ death, why it was so shocking, why she’ll be missed, and why she was a TV star in every sense of the word (13:20 – 39:50),
- Chris Pratt is hosting the 40th season premiere of SNL, and we talk about his meteoric rise from bit player on Parks and Rec to mega movie star (39:50 – 47:10),
- The MPAA is starting to realize that they can’t and shouldn’t fight movie piracy and just try to figure out other ways of getting people to see movies. We talk about how TV has gotten past the piracy issue, and why film studios need to keep using VOD and embrace Netflix streaming (47:10 – 1:03:00),
- Then we give our seven-minute fall preview, talking about the new shows we’re looking forward to seeing (1:03:00 – 1:10:00),
- Finally, we talk the season finale of The Leftovers, why the show was so divisive, if there might be hope going into season 2, why Lindelof and Perrotta did a good job, and if it’ll get any Emmy attention next year (1:10:00 – 1:34:10).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads. By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.