Manage episode 56666683 series 7999
Even though we had a bit of a sleepy beginning (goofing on the “big” news about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie will do that for a podcast), we get charged up in a hurry talking about the award shows this week:
- First we talked briefly about the VMAs, Beyonce, and why they’re still relevant (00:00 – 08:00),
- Then we go full bore (no pun intended) talking about the Emmys. Much of the discussion surrounded the repeat winners, and why we were annoyed at ones like Modern Family, but were OK with ones like Bryan Cranston and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and we talk about what a stupid voting process the Television Academy has (08:00 – 37:32),
- Then we discuss the ever-blurring line between who’s a bona fide movie star, who’s a bona fide TV star and who’s both (37:32 – 44:12),
- Then we talk about the show itself, Seth Meyers’ hosting job, and how not offensive the dopey “Sofia Vergara on a pedestal” joke was. Here is where Jason also launches into a big rant about political correctness. Oh, and we also find out that Joan Rivers got rushed to the hospital. You’ve been warned (44:12 – 1:00:31) ,
- Moving on from the Emmys, we talk about Peter Capaldi’s debut as the new Doctor on Doctor Who. We also discuss why people still dismiss Doctor Who as sci fi geekery when it’s not all that different from Steven Moffat’s other show, Sherlock (1:00:31 – 1:12:39),
- Then we talk about AMC releasing another teaser for Better Call Saul, and how we’re getting nervous that the show’s going to suck (1:12:39 – 1:16:59),
- Then we talk about three shows from the past that people are obsessed with: the prospects of a Full House reunion series, how David Chase may have revealed the ending of The Sopranos, and how any hint of a Friends reunion sends the internet into a frenzy (1:16:59 – 1:33:06),
- Finally, we talk about Amazon’s new pilots, the premiere date for Transparent, how each streaming service need that one show that’ll get people to subscribe (Hulu almost had it with Hotwives or Orlando), and if a la carte cable is really going to be cheaper than what we have now (1:33:06 – 1:44:53).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads. By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.