AFT #150: ‘New Girl’, ‘Mindy Project’, ‘Red Band Society’, ‘Mysteries of Laura’, ‘SNL’, NFL and More
Manage episode 56666681 series 7999
Another morning podcast, but Jason went from yawning to fired up pretty quickly when we started talking about the NFL:
- A discussion about how CBS and the NFL’s other broadcast partners can talk about the issues surrounding the current domestic and child abuse cases led to a talk about whether people will keep watching despite cases like those of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson (short answer: of course they will) (00:00 – 25:00),
- Two new dramas premiered this week: Red Band Society on FOX and The Mysteries of Laura on NBC. We talk about each, why the former is OK but not really for grown-ups and the latter is just really bad (25:00 – 38:15),
- Then we talk about the very funny season premieres of New Girl and The Mindy Project (38:15 – 52:40),
- Then we briefly talk about Brian Van Holt leaving Cougar Town at the beginning of its final season. Where will we get our “Bobby Cobb!” fix? (52:40 – 57:00),
- Then we discuss the new, somewhat calmer version of The View, Rosie O’Donnell’s return, and why the show is such catnip for celebrity sites and their readers (57:00 – 1:08:15),
- Finally, we talk about Michael Che joining SNL‘s Weekend Update, why it’s not so bad that Cecily Strong is going back to doing more sketches, Darrell Hammond being the new announcer, and Bill Hader coming back as a host (1:08:15 – 1:23:59).
You can listen to the podcast above (if you don’t hear anything, fiddle with the volume slider), download it via this link, subscribe to our RSS feed, or subscribe via iTunes. You can also find us on the Stitcher radio app for smartphones and iPads. By the way, the bumper music is “Trevor Trailer Trash” from the late, great band Cropduster.