Your New Puppy: Dog Training and Dog Behavior Lessons to Help You Turn Your New Puppy into a Well-Behaved Dog
YNP #067: How to Stop a Dog From Barking (Part 2)
Manage episode 300164692 series 1433019
In part one we talked about demand barking. Here in part two I go into detail about alert barking.
Alert barking is when your dog is barking at something. A dog out the window, a noise like a doorbell, your neighbor, etc.
This type of barking usually starts in as your puppy gets older. Once they reach adolescence this instinct kicks in.
It also feel really good to them! It burns energy and relieves boredom. So the habit can start very easily.
There are a few ways to handle this type of barking. Unlike demand barking where we ignore and disengage, here we want to interrupt and redirect.
Listen now to learn the difference!
In this episode I talk about:
- Summary of what we talked about in Part 1.
- What alert barking is and how it's different from demand barking.
- The different techniques to handle alert barking.
- Examples of different scenarios and how to handle them.
- How to recognize when they are barking out of fear.
Press play and enjoy!
Other resources mentioned and related to this episode:
YNP #027: How to Handle a Shy Dog
YNP #063: My 7 Guidelines for Socializing Your Dog
YNP #066: How to Stop a Dog From Barking (Part 1)
- See Part 1's show notes for links to these episodes:
- Episodes to help with barking while crate training
- Episode to help with barking because of separation anxiety
- Episode to help with barking while on a leash
YOUR Perfect Puppy: 4-week online training course for you and your new puppy.