Manage episode 294282383 series 2901898
JAVIER MUÑOZ is an actor and activist whose impressive body of work spans theater, film and television. Javier is best known for co-creating the role of, and starring as, "Alexander Hamilton” in the cultural-phenomenon musical Hamilton on Broadway for two years, after Lin-Manuel Miranda departed the show (and was his alternate prior to that). He got his break starring as “Usnavi” in In the Heights on Broadway, also created by Miranda. Javier will soon star in the dark comedy indie feature, Monuments. On the TV side, he’s appeared on Shadowhunters, Blindspot, Quantico, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee and will soon be heard voicing the character of “Ohm” on Disney’s upcoming animated series Eureka. Recent theater credits include The New Englanders at MTC and the starring role in the North American premiere of Stephen Lloyd Helper’s A Sign of the Times. Javier is also an outspoken activist for LGBTQ+ rights and a Global Ambassador for (RED), which fights to end HIV/AIDS. Muñoz was honored with the prestigious OUT100 "Breakout of the Year" award in 2016, as well as the Howard Ashman Award by the Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC). Javier now serves on the Board of GMHC as well.
- Read The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
- Watch the short documentary, Short Fuse about Danny Sotomayor, a Chicago activist
- Listen to Slate’s What’s Next podcast episode “Larry Kramer Wouldn’t Be Quiet”
- Read about Javier Muñoz Day
- Support and learn more about the organizations Javi mentions: GMHC, Broadway Green Alliance, and BCEFA.