Manage episode 270432069 series 1525659
Collette Kinley is an embroidery artist who uses both free motion machine embroidery as well as hand embroidery, although she is really enjoying hand embroidery at the moment. Collette shares her story of how 'going for it' and a new piece of embroidery has sparked several exciting opportunities for her.
Collette talks about her artistic journey so far, which started with sewing childrens clothes! When Sue catches up with her, Collette has been inspired by creating hand embroidered 'birds eye view' of allotments.
By the way, in the UK, an allotment, according to the National Allotment Society, is an area of land, leased either from a private or local authority landlord, for the use of growing fruit and vegetables. ... An allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times.
Anyway, we had a lovely chat!
Susan Weeks chats with Collette in this episode of Stitchery Stories:
- Being inspired by allotments
- Changing subject to avoid creative block
- Do allotments exist in other countries?
- Feeling nervous about posting a different style of work and subject matter
- Put yourself out there!
- Stop worrying about 'the likes'
- Learning new hand stitches
- Developing confidence and your artistic voice
- Being on a 'knife edge' with your embroidery!
- Dealing with procrastination
- Having the haven of a studio to escape to
- Doing the best we can
- The enjoyment of creating PDF patterns that sell
- Give it a go.. and see what happens :-)
For this episode... View Show Notes, Links & Examples of Collette's work at http://www.stitcherystories.com/collettekinley
Other Episodes You Might Enjoy:
Amanda Cobbett https://www.stitcherystories.com/amandacobbett/
Laura Bray https://www.stitcherystories.com/laurabray/
Other places & people also mentioned:
Poppy Treffry 'Freehand Machine Embroidery' https://poppytreffry.co.uk/collections/shop-by-category-making-books/products/fmebook
Janine Heschl Textile Wildlife Art https://www.stitcherystories.com/janineheschl/
Saatchi Gallery Instagram Takeover
Society For Embroidered Work S.E.W
National Allotment Society