BONUS - The Rise of Modest Fashion and the Black Women Behind It with Rayya Ansari and Sumayah Ansari
Manage episode 287088159 series 2867605
Cries for equal treatment and representation billow across all fields, including the fashion industry, and especially in the booming modest fashion industry. Yet, although Black women have made significant contributions (in fact, some may argue that they are the backbone of modest fashion), many go unrecognized and unseen. In today’s episode, sisters Rayya and Sumayah Ansari, join to discuss how they created spaces for themselves and other Black Muslim women in fashion. Rayya is a popular modest Muslim fashion blogger and influencer who speaks about current events and style. Sumayah is the owner of A.SumayahShop, which offers “modest chic” clothing for the contemporary woman.
Find links and show notes at https://breakconcrete.com/bc040.
- Defining modest fashion and misconceptions and myths about modest fashion
- The intersection of fashion and religion
- How Rayya and Sumayah became fashion influencers and how they get inspiration
- How Rayya created her own space in fashion
- Why Sumayah opened A.Sumayah shop and how her fashion stands out in the market of modest fashion
- Spotlighting Blackness in the modest fashion industry
- The (in)visibility of Black Muslims
- What the hijab represents
- How modest fashion became a multi-billion dollar industry and the increased visibility of Muslims in fashion
- The push for diversity and inclusion in the fashion industry
- Contributions of Black Muslim women on trends in modest fashion
- How Black women have been excluded in the modest fashion industry
- How Rayya and Sumayah #breakconcrete
- The pay gap between Black and white influencers
Follow us on
E-mail feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you like this episode, please leave a review and rating.