Manage episode 347733350 series 2869262
Welcome to Episode 101 of the Being Human Podcast: Catholic Parenting Amid Cultural Chaos, w/ Dr. Ray Guarendi
This week, Dr. Greg welcomes special guest Dr. Ray Guarendi to the show to discuss the challenges of parenting as a faithful Catholic in today’s cultural climate. Dr. Ray, a clinical psychologist, author, professional speaker and national radio and television host, humorously shares some of the wisdom he has gained while parenting his ten adopted children.
Discussed in this episode:
- Meet Dr. Ray Guarendi;
- The challenges of parenting as a faithful Catholic in the current cultural climate;
- The problem with parenting from a place of fear;
- The danger in giving unwanted and unsolicited opinions and parenting advice to grown children;
- The difficulty with the directive to be “morally neutral” as a psychologist;
- The one thing people of faith must accept: we cannot look to the culture at large for support;
- Examples of current cultural messages that don’t support the faith;
- Review of certain statistics that show how misaligned current culture is with Catholic values and beliefs;
- Ways to respond to a child expressing gender confusion as a parent or grandparent;
- How to know when it’s appropriate to step in as a grandparent to broach the topic of gender confusion with adult children;
- Fear of causing psychological damage as a barrier to parenting confidently;
- Self-doubt and lack of authority experienced by parents as a result of the cultural climate.
Resources mentioned or relevant:
- Visit Dr. Ray’s website;
- Ways to tune in to Dr. Ray’s radio show;
- Watch Dr. Ray’s TV Show;
- Books by Dr. Ray mentioned in the episode: You’re a Better Parent Than You Think and Taught by Ten;
- Episode 72 of the Being Human Podcast: The DSM Disease (Part One);
- Learn about IDDM (Mentorship) and how it can help you;
- Schedule a free 15-minute consultation call with our staff to discuss your situation and how we can support you!
- Learn more about our new Certification;
- Sign up for Being Human, our weekly newsletter, to stay up to date on exciting developments at CatholicPsych;
- Download The Integrated App for access to free audio exercises, the Catholic Mindfulness Virtual Retreat, courses, prayer resources, and more;
- Become a member of the Integrated Life Community to get access to every course Dr. Greg has created;
- Visit our website to read the CatholicPsych blog, shop in the CatholicPsych bookshop, or discover other resources we have available.
Contact us! Have a topic or a question you would like Dr. Greg to address on the podcast? Want to give some feedback about this episode? Email us at email@example.com - we would love to hear from you!
Rate, review, and subscribe
Please help us in our mission to integrate the Faith with Psychology by hitting subscribe and also sharing this podcast with your friends.
Please consider rating or leaving a review of our show. It helps us reach other Catholics just like you who want to become more integrated, whole, and happy human beings.
For Apple podcasts, click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate 5 stars, and choose “write a review.” Then type your sincere thoughts about the show!
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on any episodes. Subscribe to the podcast now!