Manage episode 363023683 series 2362023
If you’ve ever been on the internet, you’ve probably seen some video content—it’s everywhere. Some platforms—like YouTube and TikTok—are completely video based. There’s a reason why video content is so effective, but it’s not that easy or cheap for every business to create quality videos. This episode is your guide to understanding video and where to get started.Why is video so popular with digital content?
- Video is dynamic. It’s easy to consume (but difficult to create).
- Video creation is exploding which means there’s a plethora to consume.
- Video feels more personal because you can see people.
- You have to account for both audio and visual.
- You need recording equipment and editing software.
- The files are larger and more complex.
- Quality is more elusive.
- Video podcasts and vlogs
- Webinars and online training
- Livestreamed events
- Behind-the-scenes videos at your office
- Scripted video ads
- An idea and a purpose
- A goal for how the video should perform
- A platform to share it on (eg. YouTube)
- A camera—a smartphone or webcam works, but DSLR is better
- A microphone—sometimes built into the camera, or you can upgrade
- A good shooting location
- A good on-camera subject
- Editing software
- Create a plan for what kind of videos you want to create and why. Making decent videos requires an investment of time and resources, so you want to be reasonably prepared to go in.
- Start small and play around with some options. It doesn’t have to be an immediate home run.
- YouTube is a great platform for video, but it’s not the only one. Repurpose your video content across multiple marketing channels to make it more worth your time.
- Follow other companies to see what kinds of video content is effective for them. Don’t copy, but you can be inspired by brands both inside and outside of your industry.