Manage episode 280606140 series 2795092
In this episode, hosts Kelly and JJ take on another number of firearm suicide myths--including the one that states that suicide rates increase during the holiday season. To do so, they're joined by three great experts--who also happen to be great friends—Sarah Brady Fellow Dr. Kyleanne Hunter, PsychArmor's Dr. Heidi Kraft, and clinical psychologist Dr. Ted Bonar. Together, they talk about how to handle tough topics like the heightened risk of suicide that may come with people being physically isolated, increased gun sales, how to reach out to people that you love, and to ways to store firearms safely.
Mentioned in this podcast:
- You just might protect your loved ones from the deadliest method of suicide (Brady)
- Critical resources to Americans: free courses (PsychArmor)
- Veteran suicide prevention (Veteran's Affairs)
- How did we not know? (New York Times)
- How The CDC's Reluctance To Use The 'F-Word' — Firearms — Hinders Suicide Prevention (NPR)
- Evidence-based trainings (Clinical Readiness Project)
The Veteran's Crisis Line:
If you’re a Veteran in crisis or concerned about one, there are caring, qualified VA responders standing by to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The Veterans Crisis Line is a free, anonymous, confidential resource that’s available to anyone, even if you’re not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care.
Full transcripts and bibliographies of this episode are available at bradyunited.org/podcast.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255.
Music provided by: David “Drumcrazie” Curby
Special thanks to Hogan Lovells for their long-standing legal support
℗&©2019 Red, Blue, and Brady
Support the show (https://www.bradyunited.org/donate)