E37 The Ultimate Guide to Hiring a New Team ✍️🧑💼
Manage episode 350582436 series 3373638
As productive as it may sound, it's impossible to do everything by yourself when you're growing a business — and you really shouldn't. While it is ideal to be hands-on with all parts of the business, it can take a toll on your growth as an entrepreneur. This is where hiring a new team and learning how to delegate tasks come in.
But finding the right people is no easy task. It can take weeks, if not months, to find the perfect fit. But once you do, the rewards you’ll reap will be well worth it.
In this episode of The Pollen Podcast, Diana delves into all the things you need to know about hiring a new team. Firstly, how do you even know when you need a team? As an entrepreneur, you only have so much time in a day. You’ll spend that time best by honing in on your zone of genius and leveraging a team to support you every step of the way. That’s how you grow your business; that’s how you grow into a great leader. 🌱
Listen to this episode to learn the best strategies for hiring a new team member!
Create your own creative entrepreneurship story of clarity, professional confidence, and profit. Join Diana’s 90-day group course Camp Clarity and learn everything you wish you already knew, like how to land dream clients, harness the power of social media, and make the money you deserve. Learn more here.
🔥Here are three reasons why you should listen to this episode:
- How to determine when its time to hire a team and the impact it will have on your business.
- Get clear on who you want to bring on to your team.
- Learn tactical strategies to implement when hiring a new team member.
- E32 Leading with Connection to Attract Your Ideal Clients 🧲 ⚡
- Achieve the life, career, and clients you’ve always wanted (and fully deserve!). Join the waitlist for Camp Clarity!
- Want your creative business to go even further? Sign up for ASCEND, a four-month immersive mastermind experience for elevated entrepreneurs who are ready to scale their next mountain. Join the waitlist here. ⛰️
- Want to have one-on-one coaching support from Diana? Check out the brand new Voxer Coaching Container.
- Attract your dream clients with my free masterclass!
- Access other courses from the Diana Davis Creative
- Connect with me: Website | LinkedIn | Instagram
[01:44] Who is Your Team?
- Your team is people working directly with you, whether on a daily or weekly basis.
- They know your mission and core values and take tasks off your hands.
- Your team may include a virtual assistant, online business manager, web designer, copywriter, photographer, accountant, etc.
- After having your foundation set, things get sticky when it comes to having the confidence and mindset to expand that business. This is where hiring a new team comes in.
[04:22] ASCEND Mastermind
- The next cohort will start around the second week of January. It is a four-month mastermind container.
- The ASCEND Mastermind is about helping you along your journey as you expand into the next corners of your business.
- Each cohort has a maximum of eight women, making it a very intimate group.
- Every participant will have three one-on-one calls with Diana during these four months.
- BONUS: Apply for ASCEND before the end of 2022 and get a whopping $2000 OFF your application! 🤑
[08:09] What You Want in a Team
- First and foremost, get clear on what you want in a team.
[08:20] Diana Davis: “I talk about scheduling your dream life, I talk about your cosmic shopping list, I tell you about your dream clients and how you need to know who they are before you go searching for them. That's the same with a team.”
- Write down a list of things you would like your team member to be. Leave room for the possibility that they'll learn some skills on their own along the way.
- Getting clear on what you want is a manifestation situation in itself.
[11:17] What to Do When Hiring a New Team Member
- Start recording your processes and SOPs (standard operating procedures) on a platform like Loom.
- Record all the things you are going to do more than once. Talk out loud and walk through the process with whoever will watch it in the future.
- Having a library of recordings of all your SOPs will help you save time when training new hires.
- You don’t waste any time recording because you’re capturing it while doing the actual task.
- Many people are averse to hiring a new team member because of the time it would take to train them.
[14:57] Diana Davis: “Now that I have a team, I cannot even believe I never had a team before this because they do so much — there's no way I would be doing everything I'm doing in my business without them.”
[15:51] How to Find Your Person
- Finding the perfect fit for your team is almost like finding your soulmate.
- Some roadblocks along the journey of finding your person are prices, time zones, language differences, work setup, etc. It’s all about your comfort level and mission.
- Put out an application form to help you filter out applicants easily.
- Doing a 30-day trial run is crucial in ensuring you’re on the same page with someone you’re hiring. It also sets expectations and checkpoints.
[23:47] Other Ways to Find Your Person
- It's good to find someone who is connected to your world.
- You can put special instructions to filter out applications. Following directions and attention to detail can be crucial.
- Stop trying to search for a unicorn. Ask your people what they want and don't want to be doing.
- Tune in to the full episode to hear how Diana hired her second VA!
- Another way is to reach out to fellow entrepreneurs who have people they love working with.
[30:57] Hiring Full-Time vs. Part-Time
- You don’t necessarily have to hire someone full-time as a W2 employee.
- Talk to an accountant to determine when it’s beneficial to have someone as a full-time employee.
- Many people eventually hire someone as a full-time employee to keep them to themselves versus working with different clients.
- Putting someone onto your payroll is more expensive and involves way more commitment.
- A contractor has the right to raise their rates whenever they want. And you have the right to not work with them anymore if their rates exceed your budget.
[33:05] Delegate, Delegate, Delegate
- Delegate like crazy once you have a new team member. The only way for someone to learn your business is for them to do everything in it.
- People won’t understand what you want the next time if you just fix things by yourself. That’s not leadership.
- Allow your team to do things in your business so they can develop a deep understanding and start being proactive with your business.
- It takes around 90 days to start understanding the inner workings of the business.
- Don't be afraid to invest money and time in teaching your team skills they don't know.
[36:39] How to Know When You’re Ready to Hire a New Team
- The most common answer CEOs have when asked what they would’ve done different is hiring a team earlier.
- Doing everything yourself instead of delegating responsibility is an opportunity cost. It's a loss.
- If you don't have the income to delegate, you can trade as an energy exchange. You can always give energy and time versus cash dollars.
[39:13] Diana Davis: “You know when you're ready when you are spending time on tasks that you probably shouldn't be spending on.”
Enjoyed this Podcast on Hiring the Right Person for Your New Team?
The hiring process involves a lot of nitty-gritty. It's not easy to find the right person in one go. After all, the person you hire will play a big part in the trajectory of your business moving forward. So remember these tips by heart so you'll know exactly what to look for in a new team member!
Pollen is a podcast for Creative Entrepreneurs — just like you! If you enjoyed this episode of Pollen Podcast, subscribe and help us spread the word by sharing it!
Leave a review and share it! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐If you enjoyed tuning in to this podcast, we'd appreciate it if you wrote us a review. You can also share it to help other creative entrepreneurs.
Have any questions or want to leave a suggestion? Come say hi on the 'gram @dianadaviscreative! You can also subscribe to my newsletter for travel updates, learn about special projects, and get tips and tricks for the creative entrepreneur life!
Connect with me on Linkedin: Diana Davis Creative.
Thanks for listening! Stay tuned to my website for more episode updates and other exciting programs and resources.