Manage episode 330251742 series 2945506
The Lazarus Heist: From Phishing Emails to Half a Ton of Cash
In this episode of Phishy Business, we sit down with Geoff White, investigative journalist, host of The Lazarus Heist Podcast, and now, author of The Lazarus Heist book, which tells the incredible true stories of some of the most high-profile cyberattacks in the world.
In The Lazarus Heist: From Phishing Emails to Half a Ton of Cash, we discuss:
- How every hack Geoff investigated started with business email compromise, a ‘depressingly familiar tactic’
- The dangers of phishing emails and human error, and how they give hackers a way in
- Why human oversight is also crucial to detecting anomalies and monitoring systems to discover malicious activity
- The physical and digital aspects of traceability when it comes to assets stolen through cyberattacks
- How you to launder $81 million of cash
- How organizations need to take a risk-based approach to cybersecurity and resilience
- How cybercrime gangs operate like legitimate businesses and how cybercriminals can lead a double life.
You can find Geoff's book The Lazarus Heist here.
About Phishy Business
Fed up with the same old cybersecurity stories? Come with us on a journey that explores the lesser-known side. Whether it’s social engineering, taking criminals to court or the journalists hunting down hackers — our new podcast series, Phishy Business, looks for new ways to think about cybersecurity. Mimecast’s very own Brian Pinnock and Alice Jeffery are joined by guests from a range of unique security specialisms. Each episode explores tales of risk, reward and just a dash of ridiculousness to learn how we can all improve in the fight to stay safe. For more tales of risk, reward and ridiculousness, subscribe to Phishy Business on iTunes, Spotify, Anchor or wherever you get your podcasts.