Manage episode 298756106 series 2484441
What are you really afraid of? Losing a job, talking to a lot of people in public, joining a meeting on your first day of work, or expressing your thoughts openly?
Fear comes in many forms and it limits you to what you think will keep you safe. It can take control of your thoughts and redirect your actions toward the things that won’t help you grow. It will only worsen your anxiety and make you continuously live in fear.
In this episode of On Purpose, Jay Shetty talks about the different types of fear many of us face and how to use them to motivate us toward what we want and eventually live in peace and happiness.
This episode is from Chapter 3 of Think Like A Monk, get the audiobook here: https://amzn.to/2THCYUu
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:14 The epic battle of Mahabharata is about to begin
- 02:33 Anxiety, our everyday fear, is holding us back by blocking our true feelings
- 09:12 The fear of fear
- 13:20 The stress response: when your body shouts fear
- 16:00 Working with fear: externalize our fear and step back from it
- 17:01 Accept your fear, acknowledge its presence
- 19:23 Find fear patterns
- 23:26 The cause of fear - attachment, the cure for fear, detachment
- 27:19 The common misconception about detachment
- 30:38 Managing short-term fears
- 36:09 Short circuit fear - when our fear manifests in our body
- 41:42 Revisit long-term fears and the solution of avoidance
- 46:09 Take a deep dive into your fears
Like this show? Please leave us a review here - even one sentence helps! Post a screenshot of you listening on Instagram & tag us so we can thank you personally!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.