Manage episode 326799293 series 3343131
As the war in Ukraine approaches its fourth week, we remain inspired by the courage and sacrifice of the Ukrainian people as they fight for their families, their country, and the right to self-determination.
In this episode we take a step back from the day-to-day events to focus on the strategic decisions that are reshaping the economic and political world in profound ways over the last month. First, we look back and consider the origins of the crisis and ask our first guest on the podcast, Prof. Shahin Berenji from Southern Methodist University, how much weight should be given to realist criticism from prominent international relations scholars, like John Mersheimer, that NATO expansionism is the root cause of the conflict? Does Russia have legitimate security concerns by having NATO members on its borders?
Next, we discuss the greater implications of the unprecedented sanction regime imposed by the West, namely its growing impact on the global economy, the vulnerability of the developing world to these impacts, and the likely lessons being taken away by adversarial regimes. Finally, we wrap up by exploring how unified the world really is in its opposition to Russia’s war.
Topics Discussed in this Episode
- Interview with Prof. Shahin Berenji
- Russia-Ukraine War: Energy Markets and 2nd Order Impacts of Sanctions
- Russia-Ukraine War: Is the World Really in Support of Ukraine?
Dr. Shahin Berenji’s Website: https://shahinberenji.com/
Articles Mentioned in Episode
Russia-Ukraine War: Energy Markets and 2nd Order Impacts of Sanctions
- Daniel Yergin on Russia losing its status as an “energy superpower” (The Economist)
- War in Ukraine will cripple global food markets (The Economist)
Russia-Ukraine War: Is the World Really in Support of Ukraine?
- The Democracy Turning Its Back on Ukraine (The Atlantic)
- South Africa’s Self-Defeating Silence on Ukraine (Foreign Policy)
- Ties with Russia Compromise Israel’s Stance on Ukraine (The New Yorker)
- Mexico's President López Obrador declines to impose economic sanctions on Russia (NBC News)
- Show Website: www.kelloggsglobalpolitics.com
- Show Twitter: @GlobalKellogg
- Anita’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/arkellogg
- Ryan’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/RyanPKellogg
- Anita’s Website:https://www.anitakellogg.c