Manage episode 286373405 series 2860383
James and Ashley interview David Vann, author of seven internationally bestselling novels including 2019's 'Halibut on the Moon.' In it, they discuss the trauma that inspired and haunts much of his work, the creative process that fosters his raw and visceral writing style, and the difficulties even an author of his status and calibre faces in the modern publishing landscape.
Just a warning: this episode contains an explicit conversation about suicide and mental illness.
Learn more about David on his website, and buy a copy of 'Halibut on the Moon' from your local bookshop, Booktopia, or wherever else books are sold. David's back catalogue is also available to purchase on Booktopia and Amazon.
Books discussed in this episode:
- Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe
- My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
- The World According to Garp by John Irving
- Goat Mountain; Aquarium; Legend of a Suicide; Bright Air Black; Dirt; Last Day on Earth by David Vann
- Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
- Shadow Child by PF Thomése
- Eight Lives by Susan Hurley
- The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright
Get in touch!
Ashley's Website: ashleykalagianblunt.com
Ashley's Twitter: @AKalagianBlunt
James' Website: jamesmckenziewatson.com
James' Twitter: @JamesMcWatson