Manage episode 288420378 series 2364579
Judith Matz on uncovering the sneakiness of diet culture, how it shows up in healthcare and how we can move forward.
In this episode, Judith shares more about her inspiring and long career, how her first book ‘Beyond the Shadow of a Diet evolved and how it helped her find community, how this work has changed over time, the process of learning and unlearning and the cruciality of the ongoing learning/work, the many sneaky faces of diet culture, more about the Body Positive Card Deck created by Judith and Amy Pershing and Judith’s hope for the future of HAES and anti-diet work.
As mentioned in the podcast:
- Beyond the Shadow of a Diet, 2nd Edition (Book), by Judith Matz, LCSW and Dr Ellen Frankel, PhD.
- The Diet Survivors Handbook, by Judith Matz, LCSW
- Body Positive Card Deck by Judith Matz, LCSW and Amy Pershing, LMSW, ACSW, CCTP-II
- Jess Campbell, HAES student doctor and Nutritionist.
- Dr Natasha Larmie, The Fat Doctor.
- Dr Joshua Wolrich MBBS MRCS, NHS Surgical Doctor (HAES).
- Dr Lisa Erlanger, MD
- Dr Lesley Williams, MD, Author, Physician, Advocate
Judith Matz, LCSW is a nationally recognized speaker on the topics of diet culture, binge eating, emotional eating, body image, and weight stigma. She is co-author of The Body Positivity Card Deck, The Diet Survivor’s Handbook and Beyond a Shadow of a Diet, and author of the children's book, Amanda's Big Dream. Judith's work has been featured in the media including NPR, New York Times and Psychotherapy Networker, and she has a private practice in the Chicago area. Judith offers a popular full day training (live webinar or digital) for mental health/health professionals: Emotional Eating, Chronic Dieting, Bingeing and Body Image: What Every Clinician Needs to Know through PESI, Inc.
Connect with Judith: