Manage episode 313090867 series 2920613
When temperatures drop, the last thing on most people's minds is to go outside, strip off and take a plunge into near freezing water.
That is, however, what a large percentage of the Danish population do each winter.
Why on earth would someone choose to do this?
Well, it turns out that the benefits to doing so are pretty convincing, and not just for the physical aspects of helping you burn more calories.
Sam and Josefine are joined this week in the studio by journalist Saskia Weneit.
Saskia spoke to many experts and enthusiasts in researching this topic, including:
- Jørgen Hedevang: Chairman of the Danish Winter Bathing Association
- Mette Thomsen: Danish ice-swimming champion
- Helle Gollers: a winter bathing "addict"
During the episode we cover all sorts of interesting aspects of winter bathing:
- What it actually is
- The physical health benefits of winter bathing
- The mental health benefits of winter bathing
- The history of winter bathing in Denmark
- How it has entered local politics
- How you can get started
- How to winter bathe safely
as well as Sam and Saskia's experiences winter bathing as they try (unsuccessfully) to convince Josefine to try it out...
Thanks to ECO Hotels for hosting us at Guldsmeden Hotel in Copenhagen.
Note that this is the last episode of Season Two of What The Denmark - we hope you've enjoyed it!
If you've enjoyed the show, please do leave a rating/ review - it's a great way to support what we are doing, especially as we speak to potential sponsors for the show.
We hope to have more episodes for you soon!