Manage episode 294420410 series 50525
Episode 162 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition's "We Do Science" podcast! In this episode, I (Laurent Bannock) discuss "Protein and Weight Loss in Exercisers & Athletes" with Professor Kevin Tipton (The Institute of Performance Nutrition, UK).
Discussion Topics Include:
- Overview of the concept of weight loss, energy balance, caloric restriction and impact on training adaptations and performance
- General weight loss vs quality weight loss: importance of body composition focussed strategies
- Optimal protein intake during caloric restriction in elite athletes
- How much protein?
- Protein timing and quality: does it matter?
- Protein supplements: value and practicality beyond a "first first approach"
Podcast Episode Transcript: Download PDF Copy
Key Paper(s) Discussed / Referred to:
- Protein Recommendations for Weight Loss in Elite Athletes: A Focus on Body Composition and Performance
- Recent Advances in the Characterization of Skeletal Muscle andWhole-Body Protein
Responses to Dietary Protein and Exercise during Negative Energy Balance
Related Podcast Episodes:
- #153 - "Muscle Protein Synthesis and Response to Exercise & Nutrition" with Professor Kevin Tipton
- #152 - "Making Weight in Combat Sports" with Dr Carl Langan-Evans and Joseph Matthews PhD(c)
- #145 - "Nighttime Feeding: Impact on Body Composition & Performance" with Michael Ormsbee PhD
- #100 - 'Diets and Body Composition' with Alan Aragon MS and Brad Schoenfeld PhD
- #77 - 'Body Composition & Assessment' with Shawn Arent PhD
Check out our other podcasts, publications, events, and professional education programs for current and aspiring sports nutritionists at www.TheIOPN.com and follow our social media outputs via @TheIOPN