Manage episode 294236117 series 2887483
Tribe Sober - inspiring an alcohol-free life!
My guest this week is Vicky Vanstone - a Brit who is living in Australia
Vicky was a binge drinker whose identity was pretty much as a "party animal"
However like many young women she found the transition from party animal to stay at home mom a very difficult one and eventually decided to stop drinking completely - and now she inspires other moms to get "sober curious"
In this Episode
- Vicky had surrounded herself with other drinkers so her binge drinking was completely normalized
- As a party animal she enjoyed recounting funny stories from the night before
- Things changed for Vicky when she had her first child - motherhood introduced an element of shame into the morning after
- She felt hugely anxious and guilty that she was struggling to look after the baby when she was hungover
- These emotions led her to becoming "sober curious" at the age of 34
- We agreed that the "sober curious" movement is hugely helpful as it implies that we can get off the slippery slope
- We don't have to hit "rock bottom" and become an "alcoholic" before we make some changes
- For Vicky the transition from independent party girl to stay at home mom was a huge shock - as it is for many women
- She believes that's where the mommyjuice culture comes from - the need for a release from the stress and boredom
- Motherhood is a tricky mix of mndane tasks and huge responsibility and women need more information to prepare them for that
- Just as drinking is glamorised by the media so is motherhood - which makes reality an even bigger shock
- Vicky got some help by going to a therapist - she learned that she had to value herself rather than "people pleasing"
- She has now been alcohol free for 2 years and has her own podcast called "Sober Awkward"
- Vicky's website is www.drunkmummysobermummy.com and she also has a FB group
- Joining Tribe Sober is also a great way to start your sober curious journey.. More info Subscription membership for Tribe Sober is just R85 (£4/$6) a month - you can join up HERE
- To access our website click HERE
- If you would like a free copy of our"Annual Tracker" please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to come to our Saturday afternoon Zoom Cafe as a guest and meet our community just email email@example.com Episode Sponsor
This episode is sponsored by the Tribe Sober Membership Program. If you want to change your relationship with alcohol then sign up today. Read more about our 7-step program and subscribe HERE
Book a Discovery Call with me to find out if our membership would help you - calendar on homepage of tribesober.com
Help us to spread the word!
We made this podcast so that we can reach more people who need our help. Please subscribe and share.
We release a podcast episode every Saturday morning.
You can follow Tribe Sober on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and join our Tribe Sober Club on Clubhouse - we are on Clubhouse every Sunday afternoon at 5pm SA time so come join the conversation.
You can catch our FB live on Saturday mornings (11am SAST) and you can join our private Facebook group HERE
Thank you for listening!
Till Next Week