Manage episode 295283007 series 2341710
#PopVultures Ep 49: Naomi Osaka and celebrities' media dilemma
Synopsis: The Straits Times examines the ins and outs of pop culture in the Asian entertainment and Hollywood scene.
This week, the #PopVultures Jan Lee and Yeo Sam Jo talk about A-list tennis player Naomi Osaka and her declining to speak to the media and attend press conferences during the French Open, citing mental health concerns, which set off a firestorm of reactions. She was fined for refusing her press obligations and eventually pulled out of the competition.
She is hardly the only star to have had media woes - celebrities in both Hollywood and Asia have had contentious relationships with the press. From fellow tennis player Novak Djokovic to supermodel Naomi Campbell to Hong Kong's one-time bad boy Nicholas Tse, celebrities have clashed with the media over the years. Certain A-listers like Beyonce also famously do not give interviews, while others have been rude, hostile or uninterested during arranged interviews.
This gives rise to the question - do celebrities have an obligation to the media and do they need the media? As fans but also journalists, Jan and Sam Jo give their in-depth thoughts.
Here's what they cover
- The Naomi Osaka controversy, the resulting fallout and reactions (2:36)
- Other examples of celebrities, like Novak Djokovic, Britney Spears and Naomi Campbell, warring with the media (7.45)
- The Asian celebrity ecosystem and how celebrities have clashed with the media there (11:04)
- Do celebrities have an obligation to the media? (15:11)
- Monique refusing to do promote the film Precious at Cannes Film Festival (18:24)
- Celebrities being hostile to the media during interviews (20:16)
- Overall thoughts (26:31)
Edited by: Penelope Lee
Subscribe to #PopVultures Podcast series and rate us on your favourite audio apps:
Apple Podcasts: https://str.sg/JWaA
Google Podcasts: https://str.sg/Ju47
Feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Jan Lee on Instagram: https://str.sg/Jbxc
Read Jan Lee's stories: https://str.sg/Jbxp
Discover more ST podcast series:
Asian Insider Podcast: https://str.sg/JWa7
Green Pulse Podcast: https://str.sg/JWaf
Health Check Podcast: https://str.sg/JWaN
ST Sports Talk Podcast: https://str.sg/JWRE
Life Weekend Picks Podcast: https://str.sg/JWa2
Bookmark This! Podcast: https://str.sg/JWas
Lunch With Sumiko Podcast: https://str.sg/J6hQ
Discover BT Podcasts: https://bt.sg/pcPL
Follow our shows then, if you like short, practical podcasts!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.
1. The Naomi Osaka controversy, the resulting fallout and reactions (00:02:36)
2. Other examples of celebrities, like Novak Djokovic, Britney Spears and Naomi Campbell, warring with the media (00:07:45)
3. The Asian celebrity ecosystem and how celebrities have clashed with the media there (00:11:04)
4. Do celebrities have an obligation to the media? (00:15:11)
5. Monique refusing to do promote the film Precious at Cannes Film Festival (00:18:24)
6. Celebrities being hostile to the media during interviews (00:20:16)
7. Overall thoughts (00:26:31)