Manage episode 331878681 series 3285392
Last week (Episode 17) we talked about visual processing. In this episode, we discuss a number of cognitive areas that work in tandem with visual processing. Additionally, we discuss a variety of resources that can be used to enhance these cognitive skills.
Related Areas that Work with Visual Processing
1. Visual Processing Speed: processing visual information at a certain pace or speed.
2. Visual-Motor Integration (fine motor dexterity): translating visual perception into a motor response. The ability to make fine and accurate motor responses such as tying one's shoe or one's handwriting skills.
3. Visual Attention: Maintain focus on visual information.
4. Visual Scanning or Tracking: Tracking is the ability to move one's eyes smoothly across the page and from one line of text to another.
a. Problems can arise such as eye fatigue, word omissions, reversals, losing one's place while reading, and most importantly these difficulties can negatively impact reading comprehension.
b. Tracking can be improved by strengthening eye muscles as well as getting the eyes and brain to work together.
c. There are three eye movements that need to be developed:
- Fixations: ability to hold one's eyes steady without moving off a target.
- Pursuits: ability to follow a moving target with one's eyes.
- Saccades (Sucads - french for jerk): ability to jump to new targets that randomly disappear and reappear in a different location.
- Eye Can Learn: https://eyecanlearn.com/
- Visual Processing Activities: https://bit.ly/3suPrcK
- A Visual Processing Workshop: https://bit.ly/3HwnOEy
- Building Peripheral Vision, Visual Tracking and Attention For Improved Reading and Scanning: https://bit.ly/3MVEqJK
- Visual-Motor Activities for Dysgraphia and Dyspraxia: https://bit.ly/3w9IUXh
- Voice Dream Reader: https://www.voicedream.com/
- Irlen Syndrome: https://www.irlensyndrome.org/
- Eye-tracking technology detects reading difficulty: http://bulletmapacademy.com/47/
- Potential impact of eye-tracking technology: https://bulletmapacademy.com/48/
- Co-occurring visual problems that go along with dyslexia: https://bulletmapacademy.com/49/
Brought to you by