Manage episode 323505530 series 2901614
My guest for this episode is Kate Muir, author of “Everything You Need to Know About the Menopause (but were too afraid to ask)”
Kate is a writer, campaigner and documentary maker. She is the co-creator and producer of the revolutionary channel 4 documentary Sex, Myths and the Menopause and an activist for The Menopause Charity.
Join us in conversation as we discuss:-
- The Revolution!! Why Menopause is a feminist issue.
- Why many of us are forced to look at our lives in a cold, new light at this time and suddenly realise, what about me?
- Kate’s relatable honesty about her Perimenopause crash and how she couldn't 'hold it up anymore.'
- How being hormonally barren gave Kate clarity and led her to make some tough changes.
- Menopause, HRT and Alzheimer’s - Kate’s story and her mum Ella’s story.
- Mental health can be attributed to hormonal health
- Kate asks with Menopause being a long term hormonal deficiency, “why wouldn’t you take HRT?” Is the natural route not to replace your natural hormones?
- The protective benefits of Oestrogen for brain health and bone health
- Two-thirds of Alzheimer's patients are women getting diagnosed around the age of 70, with the Alzheimers decay starting 20 years previously.
- Why we should pay more attention to ‘brain fog’ especially those daughters of Alzheimer's
- The Hormonal Glass Ceiling
- Who's’ on HRT and not talking about it?
- Is Menopause a new feminist party?
- The economic privilege of Menopause.
- Kate gives us an insight into her next C4 programme with Davina McCall out in May 2022.
- The HRT window of opportunity
- Taking HRT at 70
- How lucky we are compared to our American sisters when it comes to Menopause awareness and the availability of HRT.
Kate's book choice - Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
You can follow Kate on IG and Twitter @menoscandal
Find out more about my Coaching and Education, how you can work with me and get your free Menopause Symptom tracker at www.themerrymenopause.com