Manage episode 295632562 series 2901614
In this episode, I am in conversation with Dr Philippa Kaye, GP and author.
Philippa has a weekly column in Woman magazine and you may recognise her from her regular appearances on ITV’s, This Morning.
The M Word is a complete one-stop guide to the Perimenopause and Menopause, covering everything from understanding symptoms and managing relationships to figuring out which treatments really work.
We have dedicated this episode to the complex and controversial subject of HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). Please join us as we discuss:-
- Why Philippa felt compelled to write The M Word
- Myth-busting the flawed study from 20 years ago that linked HRT to breast cancer
- The risks and the benefits of HRT explained
- When to start HRT and when to stop
- Vaginal Oestrogen
- Why HRT might not work be working for you
- Side effects of HRT
- Libido - it’s not just hormones that could be affecting your sex drive
- Looking at Menopause as a ‘long term oestrogen deficiency’
- Why HRT is not one size fits all
- How to get the most from your GP and your surgery
- Complimentary therapies
- Sequential and Continuous Combined HRT
- Post Menopausal bleeding
- Smears - the importance and how to make them a better experience
- Don’t think you are a candidate for HRT? The importance of discussing your eligibility and your options with your GP
- How do I know that I’m ready for HRT?
- The first signs of Perimenopause
- Premature Menopause
Listen to the end for an empowering Menopause anecdote.
Dr Philippa’s personal book choices
Everything That Makes Us Human by Jay Jayamohan
The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse by Charlie Mackesy
These and a selection of my favourite books https://uk.bookshop.org/shop/themerrymenopause