Manage episode 293297900 series 2927613
As yoga teachers most of us are legally and financially out on our own; we are small business owners and independent contractors cobbling together enough work to make a living. There is much that needs to change about our systems, but today I want to start small and offer this free training on legal protections for yoga teachers and I’m so happy to introduce you to Cory Sterling (he/him)!
Cory is a lawyer, small business owner, group fitness instructor and yoga teacher. He wrote The Yoga Law Book and has served hundreds of clients in the yoga, health and fitness space all across the world, the majority of whom own or operate a fitness/health studio.
I brought Cory on the podcast to answer all the questions you send me about legal protections!
He answered questions like:
- What is a waiver and what needs to be included in a waiver?
- Do waivers even count/hold up in any way if someone wanted to sue?
- Do electronic waivers count or do we need printed signatures?
- Has there ever been a lawsuit where a student sued a yoga teacher for injuring them in a situation where this teacher only taught using verbal cues?
- Can teachers legally require covid vaccines of participants prior to traveling on a retreat?
- What specific covid-related release of liability should we have in our retreat waivers?
- What is the difference between a trademark, patent and copyright and when should teachers use these tools to protect their work?
- And so much more!
Resources Mentioned in this episode: