Manage episode 294381730 series 2542873
Stepping up to L&D Manager can be both exciting and daunting but we can all learn from those who’ve done it already. In this episode, Jack describes his role, his assimilation, and his development, alongside the expectations and experiences that have helped him establish himself at this new level.
- Becoming a manager is a huge change. You actually are changing your career when you take on a management role.
- Don´t spend too much time continuing to do the work you did and were good at before. If you do you will stretch yourself too thin.
- You need to manage your profile in your organisation to make sure you get credit for what you do.
- Jack spends about 20% of his time supporting and developing his team.
- A big chunk of the role is providing air cover for your team. Managing expectations, keeping them away from the stress, etc.
- Your team must know what is going on in the business as a whole. What its goals and priorities are.
- Pause regularly to think about the problems you are trying to solve and check you are on track.
- You need to put your internal customers at the heart of everything you do.
- To prepare to become an L&D Manager, benchmark yourself and work to fill any gaps.
- Step out and push yourself to develop and practice management and leadership skills.
- When you first become a manager you may need to push to be included in the right conversations.
'What we get back from working with the team, is brilliant '
'Progressing as a manager is a career change'
'We´ve just not got all of the answers. But we are willing to go and seek them'
'Don´t wait to get your seat at the table. Pull up a chair or ask for it. '
ABOUT THE GUEST
Jack Lockhart Bio
Jack is Learning Experience and Performance Manager at PerfectHome, having progressed to manager-level via L&D roles at Virgin Media and The Training Foundation. Jack is a prominent voice on social media relating to modern L&D practices and approaches that drive demonstrable value to organisations.
You can follow and connect with Jack via:
The Learning And Development Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-learning-development-podcast/id1466927523
ABOUT THE HOST
David has been a People Development professional for more than 20 years, most notably as Director of Talent, Learning & OD for The Walt Disney Company across Europe, the Middle East & Africa.
As well as being the Chief Learning Strategist at Looop, David is a prominent writer and speaker on topics around modern and digital L&D as well as an active member of the CIPD L&D Advisory Board.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidinlearning/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidjameslinkedin/
- Website: https://www.looop.co/
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.