Manage episode 281868845 series 2789141
In this episode the pack travels back to China in search of Jack Ma. We bring back China accounting expert Professor Paul Gillis and new to the pack, Herb Greenberg. We dive into the reasons why, and not for the first time, Jack Ma has been removed from the public. We also get an in-depth look at how Alibaba became the giant it is and was able to crush its competitors in China. Paul and Herb share some of the details from the IPO, red flags that created the ongoing SEC investigation and the problems that Jack may have created with Ant Financial.
Enjoy this discussion from our panel of some of the worlds best in finance.
- 2:22 What the hell is going on with Jack Ma
- 5:32 History of the Tech in China and Alibaba
- 8:20 China starts to Evolve and attempts to reign in some of the bigger companies
- 10:16 Jack Ma gets his first billion and destroys EBAY
- 14:50 IPO's VIE's and are they really worth the paper they are printed on
- 18:30 Alibaba has some issues with their accounting and even MIT cant figure it out
- 28:00 The Ant Financial IPO
- 35:16 Trump now Biden and China what will happen
- 40:00 China, future frauds and will the SEC be a toothless tiger