From Chasidic rabbi to transgender woman and activist: Abby Stein on creating a life on her own terms (part two)
Manage episode 310818173 series 2974302
For episode 12 of The Good Edit, host Rebecca Davis speaks with transgender woman, activist, author, rabbi, speaker and educator, Abby Stein (part two).
In the second instalment (if you haven't listened to part one yet, best to start there) of this two-part gritty and grounded conversation, they explore:
- Abby’s decision to leave the Ultra-Orthodox community, and how she finally did it
- Her transition - and response from her parents
- How Abby best expresses her femininity
- Abby’s experiences with transphobia and ‘haters’
- Why the conversation needs to shift from ‘tolerance’ to ‘celebration’.
EPISODE RESOURCES: INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT FOR THOSE QUESTIONING THEIR ULTRA-ORTHODOX/ORTHODOX LIFESTYLE
- Pathways Melbourne (Australia): SMS 0403 822 406 for a callback; or e-mail email@example.com.
- Footsteps (US): Call 877-783-7755 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hillel (Israel): E-mail email@example.com
- Mavar (UK): Call 020 8144 5074; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
EPISODE RESOURCES: DEPRESSION
- If your life is in immediate danger, call 000 now
- Lifeline Australia. Call: 13 11 14
- Beyond Blue. Call: 1300 22 46 36
- Follow Abby Stein on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Purchase Abby's Stein's book, 'Becoming Eve: My Journey from Ultra Orthodox Rabbi to Transgender Woman' (published by Seal Press)
- 'Celebrating Abby' by Rebecca Davis (The Australian Jewish News)
MORE FROM THE GOOD EDIT & REBECCA DAVIS
- To find our more about The Good Edit and subscribe to the newsletter, visit thegoodedit.co
- Be a part of the newly launched, Our Good Edit Facebook group
- To join The Good Edit conversation, follow The Good Edit on Instagram,Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- To learn more about Rebecca and her work as a journalist and writer, follow her on Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and visit rebeccadavis.com.au
Founder, Host, Producer: Rebecca Davis
Editor & Sound Engineer: Saul Muscatel
The Good Edit acknowledges the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land on which we live and create, the Boonwurrung people of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.