Manage episode 297898639 series 74225
Raising capital can go two ways - it can help you reach your goals faster or be disastrous and destroy your business.
Karen Howland is the managing director at Circle Up, an investment platform that uses technology to invest in early-stage businesses (mostly health and wellness CPG companies). She’s been investing in companies for the last eight years, and in this conversation, we go deep into early-stage investing, what entrepreneurs need to know about raising capital, and the mistakes she sees entrepreneurs make along the way.
Karen also shares what opportunities are out there right now and what she's most excited about.
If you’re considering raising capital for your business or are interested in investing this episode will give you the tips and tricks to get started.
- 4:12 How Karen first got excited about investing
- 5:35 The mission of Circle Up and what makes them different from other investment firms
- 8:32 What’s hot right now in the health and wellness space
- 12:47 Why it’s so hard for large CPG companies to incubate and develop their own new products
- 15:21 How Covid may have created the opportunity for CPG companies to innovate right now
- 17:43 The biggest mistakes entrepreneurs make when raising capital
- 24:14 Investing in CPG companies vs. investing in tech companies
- 28:10 Patterns in companies that have massive success
- 30:24 How Amazon, retail, and DTC companies can exist together
- 36:05 What the future of protecting your brand on Amazon will look like
- 40:44 From raising capital to strategic exit - where entrepreneurs have the most challenges
- 43:55 Areas that Karen is excited about investing in