Manage episode 295791196 series 2922899
Episode 11: Deep dive into basement remodeling.
· Update on AmyWorks’ master bath remodel that entailed taking a closet and incorporating it into expanding the bathroom.
· Alicia and Amy talk about turning a rough basement into a finished basement. This includes putting in a bathroom with a sewage ejection pump.
· What are the requirements for egress if there’s a bedroom or is it just a playroom? Check the code.
· Suggestions for moving or replacing the mechanical components such as the furnace or water tank.
· Alicia asks how much of the renovation can be done by a homeowner and what is required to be done by a professional. This all depends on the skill and comfort level of the homeowner.
· Know your codes and what is allowed by your local building department.
· Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Question: A homeowner asks “can I renovate my only bathroom by myself?” Yes, you can do it! It again depends on your skill level and comfort level with jumping in with both feet.
· Question: Replacing a swing door with a barn door in the bathroom, what can be done with holes that are left from the hinges and strike plate? Amy suggests using a wood putty or epoxy filler in the holes, sand it smooth and even with the surrounding area, then paint to finish.
· Question: Is it cost-effective to replace just the cabinet doors? It can be if the quality of the cabinets are such that the boxes will last.