Manage episode 281095958 series 1711563
Here at RAR, we can’t think of a better way to kick off a new year than to do it with books.
That’s why we kick off every January with a challenge for your kids– to help them start their new year reading and reading and reading some more… and falling a little more in love with books in the process!
Today we’re sharing all the details of this year’s Read-Aloud Challenge. I’ll answer your questions, let you know how it works, which books “count,” (spoiler alert: you’re the boss!), and what to do if your kids get frustrated along the way.
We’re starting this challenge in January, but you can start it at any time! If you want your kids to read aloud for 25 days and fall more in love with books (and each other) in the process, you’re in the right place.
Ready to join us?
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- how the challenge will help your family kick off a great reading year and reset your rhythm
- setting your kiddos up for challenge success (even pre-readers!)
- answers to your questions about the challenge including what counts and who counts!
I also answer a listener question about whether new families will be lost or “behind” if they start a RAR Premium membership now. Hint: Nope! 🥰
|1:21||The best way to kick off a new year|
|2:48||Helping new families navigate Premium|
|4:52||RAR’s winter line-up|
|9:34||WHY a read-aloud challenge?|
|12:36||How to sign up your kids|
|13:56||Reading is its own reward, but … 😉💡 a few fun ideas|
|16:46||Making smaller goals count!|
|18:53||Answers to common questions|
|21:28||You can’t help too much|
|24:45||For developing readers and pre-readers …|
|25:56||Using wordless picture books|
|28:50||Let the Kids Speak|
Quote to remember:
“You can not help your child too much, so just help them whenever they need it.”
Links from this episode:
- Join RAR Premium
- RAR #157: Why Read Aloud to Kids Who Can Read Themselves?
- Our favorite wordless picture books
- Post your photos using the hashtag #readaloudrevival
Books mentioned in this episode:
You’ll also enjoy:
- Why and how reading aloud will change your kids’ lives forever (Mem Fox)
- When your child doesn’t love reading
- Why re-reading is possible the best reading