Manage episode 292264313 series 2852519
Puppy Training Series: Teaching Stay. Unlike sit and down, we are not going to use shaping or luring with food. Down-stay is the ultimate calming command for any puppy or dog.
4 Steps to “stay”
- Make sure that your puppy has a good sit and down, episodes #31 and #33.
- Program the command “stay” firmly with held signal at same time.
- Start with 10 seconds and build up from there.
- Mark and reward every 10 seconds while standing next to puppy
- Slowly increase the 3 D’s: distance, duration, distractions, but not all at once.
Down-stay outside with a lot of distractions will take a lot of time, be patient. Practice makes perfect. 3-5 minutes a day of down-stay
- Use when you want puppy settle down
- Use when you want puppy to behave
- Use when you want puppy to go to place (bed)
Support the show (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/puppytalk)