Manage episode 224978982 series 2110819
In this first Episode of 2019, I’ve branched beyond the walls of Regions Hospital to interview a new friend at Hennepin Health: Tom Wyatt. He trained as a resident in their residency program in the 2000s and then worked at a high volume suburban community practice for many years.
He then returned to academic medicine at Hennepin a few years ago. He’s now Medical Director of the emergency department at ‘the county’.
I was a bit nervous about interviewing Tom for the show, which wasn’t helped by our designated meeting location being closed upon arrival! But, we both rolled with it (in typical emergency medicine style, I’d say) and found ourselves really enjoying our hour long talk. I think we’ve only scratched the surface of Tom’s wisdom but it was a good start at a look into his evolving career.
- Tom’s move back to his training home – Hennepin County Medical Center and his transition between emergency medicine practice environments
- Bringing some of the community learnings back to the academic setting
- World transition to the EHR, scribes and the need for learning the details of documentation and billing understanding alongside clinical skills
- Tips for wellness and career sustainability
- Tom’s routines – Shift work, mornings, shift start/during shift routines
- Tom’s approach to teaching and supervision in a learning environment
- Teaching the aspects of documentation in emergency medicine
- Tom’s experience with using the nursing staff in a efficient practice
- Advocacy at the local and national levels in emergency medicine
- Beginning a diversity initative
- Wrap up