Manage episode 292263300 series 2886892
In the American healthcare industry, gender and ethnicity-based biases are prevalent. Women physicians and ethnic minorities often experience discrimination not only from patients but also from their own colleagues. These microaggressions can cause anxiety and depression, impacting doctors’ work and life and eventually leading to burnout.
Returning to our show is Dr. Gita Pensa, an emergency room physician, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine at Brown University, speaker, and podcast host. Coming from a family of immigrants, Dr. Pensa has faced racial discrimination as a young child, and even as a professional she is sometimes treated differently. But with her wit and courage, she has proven herself capable to weather any storm.
Listen as she gives us another fascinating and empowering story of resilience and grit.
“You just sort of get to this point where if you amass enough confidence, if you don't suffer from imposter syndrome, if you have enough people that believe in you, and you believe in yourself, then whatever these things are meaningless.” - Dr. Gita Pensa
- (02:18) Sexism and racism in healthcare
- (09:32) Examples of microaggression
- (16:28) A family of immigrants
- (27:19) Dr. Gita’s experiences of discrimination
- 32:26) Superpower against microaggression
- (35:29) Fundamental attribution error
- Think Like a Monk by Jay Shetty https://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Monk-Train-Purpose/dp/1982134488
- Physicians on Purpose Podcast Episode 18: Gita Pensa MD - Malpractice Litigation and Burnout https://physiciansonpurpose.libsyn.com/18-gita-pensa-md-malpractice-litigation-and-burnout
- Doctors and Litigation: The L Word https://thelword.podbean.com/
Connect with Dr. Pensa
Twitter: @GitaPensaMD https://twitter.com/GitaPensaMD?s=20
Watch on Youtube: https://youtu.be/KEpnV6kW5Ow
Learn more about Dr. Dike and The Happy MD: https://linktr.ee/dikedrummond
We would love to hear your feedback. Send us your review on Apple Podcasts/Itunes, or in other directories through this link: https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/physicians-on-purpose-1546320