Manage episode 297829777 series 2444033
Who are we as humans? What is our intrinsic value to each other? Why do we want humans by our side? Is it out of desire, obligation, validation, or true necessity? And what does Amanda Montell have to do with any of this? It has everything to do with her. In a recent interview with Salon Magazine, Amanda breaks down the way that cultish rhetoric causes us not to empathize with one another or see others as human. We see people as “other” if they don’t align perfectly with our rapidly narrowing ideologies. It’s important to know the cultish language that makes you feel so confident that you are right and that everyone else is not only wrong but morally inferior.
- Instagram: @amanda_montell
- Read: Cultish: The Language of Fanaticism
- Read: Wordslut: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language
- Listen: Sounds Like a Cult
- Salon: From workplaces to politics to Instagram influencers, "cultish" language is everywhere
- Follow + DM us: @offtherecordwithyou + @skinowl
- Tag Us: #offtherecordpod
- Shop SkinOwl: skinowl.com
- Want to try SkinOwl skincare? Use code “OFFTHERECORD15” on SkinOwl.com for your first order.
- Best sellers: Maqui Berry Beauty Whip, Eye Concentrate, and our first ever product to alleviate breakouts and dark marks: Geranium Drops.