Motherhood in ADHD – Parenting with ADHD, Productivity Tips, Brain based Science, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Education to Help Moms with Adult ADHD
E140: What Does ADHD Look Like in Women? When to get an Adult ADHD Diagnosis with Dr. Sasha Hamdani
Manage episode 326295526 series 2913393
What does your ADHD look like? Does it look like impulsiveness, hyperactivity and the irresistible urge to fidget – the signs we constantly hear about in men and boys?
Or does it look more like forgetting to put on deodorant or brush your teeth, trouble keeping track of all your kid’s appointments, absent-mindedly twirling your hair, or excessive talking when you get excited?
(If you’ve ever gotten “talks too much” on your report card as a kid, you know what I mean!)
ADHD can look different in women – and just because you don’t have the “classic” signs, doesn’t mean you don’t have ADHD.
In this episode of Motherhood in ADHD, Dr. Sasha Hamdani, a board-certified psychiatrist and ADHD specialist, shares about the symptoms of ADHD in women, and SO much more, including:
- Dr. Sasha’s own diagnosis story, and her experience as a mom with ADHD
- ADHD diagnosis in children: how to talk to your kids about their diagnosis in a non-judgmental and supportive way
- When it’s time to seek professional help for your ADHD symptoms
- ADHD and hormones: how your cycle affects your symptoms
- Self-care tips for the emotional side of ADHD
- The benefits of partnering with an ADHD specialist, and how to find the right professional
- How to speak to your loved ones about your ADHD, while clarifying it's an explanation and not an excuse
- Answers to all YOUR burning questions that you shared in our Motherhood in ADHD private Facebook group (P.S. You should join if you haven't yet!)
BIG thanks to Dr. Sasha Hamdani for sharing your wisdom and expertise with us!
To hear more about ADHD from Dr. Sasha, follow her on Instagram: @thepsychdoctormd
To learn more about Dr. Sasha’s psychiatry practice, visit her website: drhamdanimd.com
Learn how to feel more put together by organizing your to-do list in an ADHD friendly way, and keeping your commitments to yourself - all part of the Daily Planning for ADHD Moms course. Join here: bit.ly/adhdplan
Which Mama Animal are you? Take the Quiz: What's your ADHD Mama Parenting Style? Because you're #NotYourAverageMamaBear
Red the transcript and view the show notes on the Motherhood in ADHD blog.
This material is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your doctor or a trained medical professional to find the treatment plan that best fits your personal situation.