Manage episode 308244481 series 2540552
Kleo Curry is a certified financial planner and chartered retirement planning counselor. She currently serves as a financial advisor and wealth strategy associate for one of the world’s largest wealth management firms, UBS. In addition to helping her clients meet their financial goals through volatile market conditions, Kleo is committed to serving her community as a member of the Loudoun County Transit Advisory Board and the Loudoun County Abused Women’s Shelter.
Kleo joins me today to recount the story of her life and share what it means to look beyond physical attributes and focus on the human condition. She describes what it was like growing up as a poor black girl in Detroit in the 80s and explains why her mother taught her that she would need to “compete harder.” She discusses what she learned about the universality of suffering as she worked in the financial industry. Kleo also highlights how, at one point in her career, she felt “owned” by success and details how she freed herself by embracing her gifts.
“To be educated is to be powerful. That’s your key in communicating and moving around the world.” - Kleo Curry
Today on Mastering Midlife:
- Kleo’s upbringing in 1980s Detroit
- Why it is difficult for people to converse about white privilege
- The universality of struggling and how beliefs shape our worldview
- The importance of being educated
- Why Kleo transitioned from working in a legal firm to the world of finance
- What it was like to work as a woman of color in the financial industry in the early 2000s
- What kept Kleo in the financial industry
- Emancipation from the bondage of “success” and why we shouldn’t burn bridges
- How Kleo looked to her tribe of women for support
- Embracing your gifts and purpose in the world
Connect with Kleo Curry:
Thanks for tuning into today’s episode of the Mastering Midlife Podcast: How to Thrive When the World Asks the Most of You with Mark Silverman. If you enjoyed this episode, subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts and leave us a review.