Manage episode 295057164 series 2505215
Hamish Norton, President of Star Bulk Carriers (SBLK), Co-CFOs Christos Begleris and Simos Spyrou, and SBLK Head of Research Constantinos Simantiras joined J Mintzmyer's Value Investor's Edge Live on June 8, 2021, to discuss the dry bulk markets and forward prospects and capital allocation. Star Bulk Carriers is the largest US-listed dry bulk company with 128 vessels on the water. With rates surging, SBLK is focused on the '2 Ds' of dividends and deleveraging. We expect to see substantial payouts throughout there year.
This interview and discussion is relevant for anyone with dry bulk investments or interest in the overall sector, including Diana Shipping (DSX), Eagle Bulk (EGLE), Eurobulk (EDRY), Genco Shipping (GNK), Grindrod Shipping (GRIN), Golden Ocean (GOGL), Navios Maritime (NM), Navios Maritime Partners (NMM), Pangea Logistics (PANL), Safe Bulkers (SB), Scorpio Bulkers (SALT), and Seanergy Maritime (SHIP).
- (<2:00) Intro/Disclosures
- (2:00) What is driving the current strength in rates?
- (3:45) What are the primary risk factors to watch?
- (6:00) How big of an impact are China-Australia tensions?
- (7:45) What is driving increased Capesize volatility?
- (11:45) What is behind the huge disconnect in FFA levels?
- (15:00) What is the current status of the newbuild market?
- (18:15) How do proposed environmental regulations impact SBLK?
- (23:30) How would a carbon tax or higher oil prices impact SBLK?
- (25:00) Overall capital allocation priorities? Leverage target?
- (27:00) Current strategy for time-charters vs. spot exposure?
- (28:15) Updates on scrubber economics? Any hedging?
- (33:00) What differentiates SBLK from peers, why invest here?
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices