Manage episode 327622662 series 2979264
In this 30-minute podcast, Peter Simons reports on the latest scientific articles in psychiatry. The goal is to provide more detail than is usually found in conventional research news and to help listeners understand how to interpret the findings.
Articles covered in this podcast include:
- Researchers write that “psychology is fundamentally incompatible with hypothesis-driven theoretical science”;
- Researchers suggest that “evidence-based medicine” is more corporate gimmick than reliable science;
- Psychiatrists deliver the lowest-quality healthcare of any medical specialty;
- A report by the Council of Europe promotes non-coercive mental health treatment;
- Black patients in the US were more than twice as likely to be described negatively in electronic health records;
- A peer-supported Open Dialogue program shows early success in the UK;
- Antipsychotics are often prescribed without informed consent;
- Antidepressants are ineffective for children and adolescents;
- Psychiatric drugs increase dementia risk threefold after COVID in 65+ population; and
- Official guidelines on antidepressant discontinuation fail practitioners and patients.