Barbados surfing: learning to surf the Caribbean swells with Bajan surfing legend Alan Burke
Manage episode 285931015 series 2851753
Barbados is the place to be if you want to surf. There's no question about it. Due to its unique position in the Caribbean seas, it generates some seriously good conditions for anyone wishing to catch a wave.
But what if you're not an experienced surfer? Can you still consider going to Barbados as a viable destination for learning to surf.
This is the exact question and topic we're covering in this episode.
If your experience of 'trying to surf' has so far been limited to falling off of your board on Fistral Beach in Newquay, then you definitely want to listen to my chat with Alan Burke.
Alan's a Bajan former national and international surfing champion, and he runs Burkie's Surf School.
From Barbados surfing legend to Bajan surf beginner, as I have a quick catch up with Craig Bulow, a person I met a month ago when we was starting his lessons.
I also talk about my exciting moment appearing LIVE on television on the UK's Sky News.
Oh, and if that's not enough, this episode contains swimming horses!!! Yes, seriously!
In this episode, you'll hear:
- Why you might get to see horses in the sea if you're on the right beach at the right time!
- My moment of national television news coverage thanks to a Sky journalist stumbling across this podcast on social media.
- Barbados surfing legend Alan Burke from Burkie's Surf School telling us all about learning to surf in the Bajan paradise.
- Craig Bulow on his experiences learning to surf in Barbados.
- If you want to check out the film "Box, Bowl and the Burkes" that Alan mentions, you can do that, here.
- Alan mentions his favourite beach. (Spoiler alert: it's Brandons Beach). This is a short video of it that I've found so you can see what it looks like.
Have you subscribed yet? You can click this link to follow the show in your favourite app. It's worth doing so, because sometimes we quietly and secretly post bonus content that you'll only find out about if you're subscribed.
Hint! There might just be another bonus episode coming your way in the next few days!
Did you manage to check out this one (all about weddings in Barbados) which we posted as a special Valentine's Day treat?
Although people are loving following along with my Barbados journey, this isn't my only podcast. If you're enjoying Life in Barbados, please check out my other travel themed podcast, "The Bucket List".
That podcast features guests talking about a wide range of experiences, and should give you plenty of inspiration for when we're all allowed to travel again soon!