Manage episode 300703674 series 2561369
Interview with Lara Hogan, legendary leadership coach and former engineering leader about building a performance review process. Lara goes into detail about building a process from the bottom up and takes a deep dive into synthesizing and delivering feedback to your direct reports for maximum effectiveness.
In this interview we're covering:
- Definition of performance reviews
- Steps of a performance review process
- Preparation tips for giving and receiving feedback
- Rules to giving feedback based on a performance review
- Sharpening your skills in giving feedback
- Supporting your team to give feedback
Excerpt from the interview:
"You want to make a performance review discussion a two-way conversation.
I’ve seen people say that you should end your feedback with a request like, “Could you pick up more tickets, please?” I consider this a terrible way to deliver feedback that shuts down any chance of a conversation.
Leading questions may serve you well in a toxic situation, or when working out a performance improvement plan. When it comes to delivering constructive criticism in a regular performance review, make it a two-way conversation. This is the best you can do for everybody."