Manage episode 290990936 series 2561369
Interview with Ellen Wong, Director of Engineering at Calm about leading partially remote and partially on-site hybrid teams. She shares her experience in hiring the right people for hybrid teams, creating processes, and handling all the day-to-day difficulties of the hybrid environment.
In this interview we're covering:
- Advantages and disadvantages of a hybrid team
- Leadership challenges in a hybrid team
- Preparing your team for hybrid processes
- Extra support requirements in hybrid teams
- Future plans with the hybrid environment
- Key skills to lead hybrid teams
- Keeping the community alive in a hybrid environment
Excerpt from the interview:
"I joined Calm remotely, and I’ve hired the majority of my team for remote work. My previous company was focused on working from the office, so we chose carefully who we allowed to work remotely. We came up with certain criteria, which I use when hiring for my hybrid team.
Look for these qualities in your interview:
- Inclusivity and kindness
- Good communication skills
- Openness to feedback
For example, if they have issues conveying their points, and you have to keep asking follow-up questions, they may not be a good fit for remote work."