Manage episode 326799299 series 3343131
In this episode, we discuss what the Chinese-led Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), the largest regional trade pact to date, means for the future of trade and the U.S.’s seeming withdrawal from leading on future international economic cooperation. Next, we discuss the crisis that no one is talking about — the diminishing opportunity for talks over Iran’s nuclear weapon development. Will Israel accept Iran as a de facto nuclear state, or could another Middle East war be on the horizon? We provide another update on Russia-Ukraine and the negations between Russia and NATO. Finally, we look at two recent articles by Francis Fukuyama (see notes below) on the democratic decline in the United States and its impact on U.S. global leadership.
Topics and Timestamps
- 10:15 - Listener Feedback
- 18:15 - RCEP: New Asian trade pact led by China goes into effect
- 31:45 Reviving the Iran Nuclear deal: Mission Impossible?
- 47:30 Russia-Ukraine: Russia and NATO get ready to negotiate
- 50:00 January 6th Capitol insurrection and the Global implications
Articles Mentioned in Episode
New Asian Trade Pact: RCEP
- In Asia, China fills an economic void the United States left (WaPo)
- RCEP kicks in as China seeks to lead regional economic integration (Nikkei Asia)
Reviving the Iran Nuclear deal: Mission Impossible?
- Iran-US: faltering nuclear talks enter dangerous phase (FT)
- The Looming Threat of a Nuclear Crisis with Iran (The New Yorker)
- Biden says he warned Putin of ‘severe sanctions’ if Russia invades Ukraine again (WaPo)
- U.S. Details Costs of a Russian Invasion of Ukraine (NY Times)
January 6th Anniversary
- One Single Day. That’s All It Took for the World to Look Away From Us. (Francis Fukuyama; NY Times)
- January 6 and Geopolitics (Francis Fukuyama; American Purpose)
- The American polity is cracked, and might collapse. Canada must prepare (The Globe and Mail)
- January 6 Didn’t Happen Just to America (The Atlantic)
- Show Website: www.kelloggsglobalpolitics.com
- Show Twitter: