Manage episode 300643743 series 1294742
Paul Halpern is Professor of Physics at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia. A prolific author, he has written sixteen science books and numerous articles. His interests range from space, time and higher dimensions to cultural aspects of science. The recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship, Fulbright Scholarship, and an Athenaeum Literary Award, he has appeared on C-SPAN, the History Channel, the Discovery Channel, the PBS series "Future Quest," and "The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special."
Halpern's books include Time Journeys, Cosmic Wormholes, The Cyclical Serpent, Faraway Worlds, The Great Beyond, Brave New Universe, What's Science Ever Done for Us?, Collider, What's the Matter with Pluto?, Edge of the Universe, Einstein's Dice and Schrödinger's Cat, The Quantum Labyrinth, Synchronicity and Flashes of Creation.
In his most recent book, Flashes of Creation, Professor Halpern breaks down the great debate over the Big Bang and the continuing quest to understand the fate of the universe. In Flashes of Creation, Paul Halpern Shows that just decades ago its mere mention caused sparks to fly. At the center of the debate were Russian American physicist George Gamow and British astrophysicist Fred Hoyle. Gamow insisted that a fiery explosion explained how the elements of the universe were created. Attacking the idea as half-baked, Hoyle countered that the universe was engaged in a never-ending process of creation. The battle was fierce. In the end, Gamow turned out to be right — mostly — and Hoyle, along with his many achievements, is remembered for giving the theory the silliest possible name: "The Big Bang." Halpern captures the brilliance of both thinkers and reminds us that even those proved wrong have much to teach us about boldness, imagination, and the universe itself.
Support our Sponsors!
- LinkedIn Jobs! Use this link to post your first job ad for FREE LinkedIn.com/impossible
- biOptimizers for better sleep
Join this channel to get access to perks:
- Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating
And please join my mailing list to get resources and enter giveaways to win a FREE copy of my book (and more) http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php 📝
🎥 🎥 Watch my most popular videos🎥 🎥
- Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/3z8RqKMQHe0?sub_confirmation=1
- Weinstein and Wolfram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0AZ4Y4Ip4?sub_confirmation=1
- Sheldon Glashow: https://youtu.be/a0_iaWgxQtA?sub_confirmation=1
- Michael Saylor The Physics of Bitcoin https://youtu.be/CaN_CDKqXOg?sub_confirmation=1
- Sir Roger Penrose, Nobel Prize winner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMuqyAvX7Wo?sub_confirmation=1
- Jill Tarter https://youtu.be/O9K9OBd3vHk?sub_confirmation=1
- Sara Seager Venus LIfe: https://youtu.be/QPsEDoOTU6k?sub_confirmation=1
- Noam Chomsky: https://youtu.be/Iaz6JIxDh6Y?sub_confirmation=1
- Sabine Hossenfelder: https://youtu.be/V6dMM2-X6nk?sub_confirmation=1
- Sarah Scoles: https://youtu.be/apVKobWigMw
- Stephen Wolfram: https://youtu.be/nSAemRxzmXM
- 🏄♂️ Find me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
- 🔥 Find me on Instagram at https://instagram.com/DrBrianKeating
- 📖 Buy my book LOSING THE NOBEL PRIZE: http://amzn.to/2sa5UpA
- 🔔 Subscribe for more great content https://www.youtube.com/DrBrianKeating?sub_confirmation=1
- ✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
- 📧Join my mailing list: http://briankeating.com/mailing_list.php
- 👪Join my Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/losingthenobelprize
- 🎙️Please subscribe, rate, and review the INTO THE IMPOSSIBLE Podcast on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/into-the-impossible/id1169885840?mt=2
- 🎙️Listen on all other platforms: https://wavve.link/into
A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/
Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating