Manage episode 290285577 series 98928
If you’ve ever wanted greater happiness in your life, then do we have the Good Morning, I Love You show for you.
Today I’ll be talking with Dr. Shauna Shapiro, clinical psychologist, mindfulness and self-compassion expert, the creator of an amazing viral TED Talk, and the author of a beautiful golden book in mindfulness, “Good Morning, I love You”
That is just what I want to talk with her about today, about the power of mindfulness and self-compassion to rewire your brain for calm, clarity, and joy.
You can make positive changes, rewrite your subconscious, and positively affect your brain and your life! And in this stunning, yet heart-felt interview, Dr. Shauna Shapiro shares how you can make these changes, and what they'll mean for you.
For what you think about, truly is what you bring about, and when you fully understand as Dr. Rick Hanson of Hardwiring Happiness says "neurons that fire together, wire together" you'll understand that you can hardwire happiness, and creative long-lasting positive change in the brain--through mindfulness.
Key Points Discussed:
- What happened to you when you were 17 and playing volleyball (03:31)
- The waterfall monastery, the English-speaking monk, and what Shauna practiced at the monastery (06:18)
- How our entire lives are a meditation and how what we focus on grows stronger (11:01)
- The happiness set point theory; We are as we are (11:52)
- The superhighways of habit versus country roads (14:20)
- The power of focusing our minds and having laser-like attention (18:09)
- Beating ourselves up and the energy it costs us (21:08)
- The myth and disease of perfectionism that we all have in the west today (22:17)
- Learning how to become our own ally and being on our team (25:36)
- How do we apply mindfulness, kindness, and common humanity in handling a child’s tantrum? (30:21)
- Working with soldiers with PTSD and the profound story of the soldier who had never spoken (32:14)
- The mistaken belief that self-judgment and shame makes things okay (36:58)
- Practicing forgiveness to free our hearts and what forgiveness really means (39:15)
- How compassion makes us more accountable (43:00)
- Why we often feel worse before we feel better when we start practicing mindfulness (44:21)
- Showing up for the beauty in our lives and training our minds into our being so we can change our happiness set point (47:00)
To find out more visit:
- https://amzn.to/2vmA3Ee - Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
- https://amzn.to/31M3kUO - Good Morning, I Love You: Mindfulness and Self-Compassion Practices to Rewire Your Brain for Calm, Clarity, and Joy
- https://amzn.to/3qULECz - Order Michael Sandler's new book, "AWE, the Automatic Writing Experience"
Follow Michael and Jessica’s exciting journey and get even more great tools, tips, and behind-the-scenes access. Go to https://www.patreon.com/inspirenation
For free meditations, weekly tips, stories, and similar shows visit: https://inspirenationshow.com/
We’ve got NEW Merch! - https://teespring.com/stores/inspire-nation-store
Follow Inspire Nation, and the lives of Michael and Jessica, on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/InspireNationLive/
Find us on TikTok - https://www.tiktok.com/@inspirenationshow