Ep. 62 - Precedential Decisions from 6/28/2021 - 7/4/2021 (detention; in absentia motion to reopen; particular social group - gangs; family based particular social group; child abuse; divisibility; defective NTA; conviction)
Manage episode 296751743 series 2857723
Odds and Ends
- Flores settlement
- Patel v. Garland!!!!
Johnson v. Chavez, No. 19-897 (U.S. June 29, 2021)
- detention; reinstatement; withholding of removal; Nasrallah
- Click here to support Immigrant’s List! – https://www.immigrantslist.org/
Matter of S-L-H- & L-B-L-, 28 I&N Dec. 318 (BIA 2021)
- in absentia motion to reopen; exceptional circumstances; de novo review; weather; traffic; tardiness; sufficiency of evidence
Perez-Trujillo v. Garland, Nos. 11-1481, 17-1586 (1st Cir. June 28, 2021)
- particular social group; gang recruitment; former gang member; MS-13; El Salvador; Special Immigrant Juvenile status (SIJ); discretion; Matter of Arai; jurisdiction
Portillo-Flores v. Garland, No. 19-1591 (4th Cir. June 29, 2021) (en banc)
- asylum; past persecution; death threats; children; family based particular social group; El Salvador; MS-13
Adeeko v. Garland, No. 19-60703 (5th Cir. July 1, 2021)
- child abuse, abandonment, or neglect; INA § 237(a)(2)(E)(i); online solicitation of a minor in violation of Tex. Pen. Code § 33.021(c); categorical approach
Parzych v. Garland, No. 20-2317 (7th Cir. June 28, 2021)
- categorical approach; modified categorical approach; divisibility; elements; means; jury instructions; Mathis peek
Mejia-Padilla v. Garland, No. 20-1720 (7th Cir. June 29, 2021)
- motions to reopen; defective NTA; Pereira; non-LPR cancellation of removal; stop-time rule; equitable tolling
Brathwaite v. Garland, No. 20-27 (2d Cir. July 1, 2021)
- criminal conviction; finality; Chevron deference; Matter of J.M. Acosta; N.Y. Crim. Pen. L. § 460.30
*Sponsors and friends of the podcast!
Kurzban Kurzban Tetzeli and Pratt P.A.
Immigration, serious injury, and business lawyers serving clients in Florida, California, and all over the world for over 40 years.
"Modern immigration software & case management"
*Want to become a patron of Immigration Review?
Check out our Patreon page at https://www.patreon.com/immigrationreview
Facebook: "Immigration Review Podcast" or @immigrationreview
Immigration Review® is a podcast made available for educational purposes only. It does not provide specific legal advice. Rather, the Immigration Review® podcast offers general information and insights regarding recent immigration cases from publicly available sources. By accessing and listening to the podcast, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the podcast host. The Immigration Review® podcast should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.
"Loopster," "Bass Vibes," "Chill Wave," and "Funk Game Loop" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/immigrationreview)