Manage episode 306001705 series 179672
Too often we have a concept of how to train for a sport or event and use that as the starting point for the plan. We fit the athlete to the event. That works in some cases, but other times you need to fit the event to the athlete. In no event is that more important than the 800 meters, where athletes come from a wide variety of training and physiological backgrounds. On this week's episode coach Trevor Painter and former elite 800 meter runner Jenny Meadows join us to share some examples of fitting the event to an athlete, 800 meters training, and more.
For more information on this topic, read the complete show notes at: https://www.hmmrmedia.com/2021/10/gaincast-episode-228-fitting-the-event-with-trevor-painter-and-jenny-meadows/
The following links were referenced in the podcast or provide some additional reading material on the topic:
- Our monthly GAIN Master Class Series features speakers from all aspects of performance. Sign up and learn more here.
- The GAINcast is also sponsored by HMMR Media. Join HMMR Media to get access to a vast library of online training resources, video, articles, podcasts, and more. he October/November site theme is team speed and developing speed in sport-specific contexts.
- You can follow Painter on Twitter (@Faster_feet) and Instagram (@faster_feet). Meadows is also on Twitter (@JennyMeadows800).
- This interview with Athletics Weekly also gives a look at Painter's training and coaching philosophy.
- For a bit more on the 800 meters, listen to GAINcast 203 where Gareth Sandford explained his research on the 800 meters and the role of speed reserve.
- HMMR Podcast 85 also interviewed middle distance coach Danny Mackey and his wife, elite runner Katie Mackey. Mackey also wrote about tips on coaching your spouse in an article for the site.
- We also had a 4-part series looking at endurance training including: GAINcast 91 looked at endurance methods and concepts, GAINcast 92 looked at athletic development for endurance athletes, GAINcast 95 looked at endurance planning, and GAINcast 99 looked at fitness and endurance training for team sports.
- Stephen Seiler joined us on GAINcast 104 to share insights on polarized training and other endurance training concepts.
- Carrie Lane has also contributed a lot about strength and speed training for runners. She has written in detail about why runners need to lift, lifting methods for runners, creating a strength plan, and sprint training for endurance athletes. We also interviewed Lane on HMMR Podcast 51 to discuss lifting for endurance athletes.