Manage episode 289860323 series 2848302
1 in 10 individuals will develop eczema during their lifetime. Are you one of them?
Skin issues are rampant. With a combined total of over 30 million Americans suffering from either eczema or rosacea alone, chances are you know someone who is struggling to have healthy skin.
Here to shed some light on this issue is Jennifer Fugo, MS, LDN, CNS. Jennifer is a clinical nutritionist who uses a functional medicine perspective to help her clients heal their skin. When working with her patients, not only do they end up with clearer skin- their "stomach problems", chronic fatigue, and autoimmunity are often resolved, too.
On the show, Jennifer sets the record straight on whether or not your skin is reflective of your overall health. She also shares 7 of her top lifestyle and dietary hacks that promote healthy skin, what nutrients are needed for skin health, signs of underlying health conditions, and how much sun you should actually be getting. (Hint: No tanning beds required... or suggested.)Episode Highlights:
- 4:50 How Jennifer’s experience with eczema opened her eyes to skin health
- 11:46 Does your skin indicate how healthy you really are?
- 15:21 Signs of having healthy skin
- 20:06 Seven lifestyle and dietary hacks that promote healthy skin
- 24:46 Understanding your skin’s microbiome and getting clear on what symptoms you're experiencing
- 29:02 How to communicate your skin issues with your doctor and the #1 thing to do if they refuse to run tests
- 30:45 The right amount of sun for healthy skin
- 34:25 The most common skin conditions Jennifer sees in her practice
- 36:17 What eczema really is and how it shows up on the body
- 41:06 Root causes of eczema
- 43:47 Tests you can run to get to the bottom of eczema
- 46:47 How conventional, functional, and holistic providers approach skin health differently
- 52:06 The underlying condition that 77% of people suffering from rosacea have in common
- 56:35 What to expect when trying to treat rosacea
- 1:00:41 How to get in touch with Jennifer
Jennifer received her Master’s in Human Nutrition from the University of Bridgeport and Bachelors from New School University. She’s a member of the American Nutrition Association, an Advisory Board member for the Nutritional Aesthetics Alliance, and a faculty member of LearnSkin.
In her clinical practice, she helps women and men with never-ending “stomach problems”, chronic skin rashes, brain fog, chronic fatigue, and autoimmunity find a way back to their best health. Jennifer listens to her clients and looks for missed or dismissed clues that ultimately point towards the root causes that underlie their nagging physical symptoms.
As a sought-after expert, advocate & speaker, Jennifer has been featured on Dr. Oz, Yahoo! News, CNN, Paleo Magazine, and Philadelphia Magazine.
She is the author behind the best-selling book “The Savvy Gluten-Free Shopper: How to Eat Healthy without Breaking the Bank“ and creator of the Eczema & Psoriasis Awareness Weeks.Resources We Mention
- Jennifer Fugo’s Website
- Healthy Skin Show
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Liquid Soap
- GI-Map Test
- Podcast 028: What A Normal Period Actually Looks Like And How To Fix Yours
- Podcast 037: SIBO + Gut Health Simplified: Identifying, Navigating, and Treating SIBO with Phoebe Lapine
Did you enjoy this episode? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let me know! I love hearing what you think and it helps others who want to Do It Different find the podcast as well.