Manage episode 275424506 series 2151271
Learn about how bacteria in your gut can produce electricity. Then, performer and lecturer Thom Britton will tell us about the origins of seances and how Hollywood gets them wrong.
Some Bacteria in Your Gut Produce Electricity by Cameron Duke
- Specktor, B. (2020, September 18). Scientists find “secret molecule” that allows bacteria to exhale electricity. Livescience.Com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/electron-breathing-geobacter-microbes.html
- Chabert, N., Amin Ali, O., & Achouak, W. (2015). All ecosystems potentially host electrogenic bacteria. Bioelectrochemistry, 106, 88–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bioelechem.2015.07.004
- Light, S. H., Su, L., Rivera-Lugo, R., Cornejo, J. A., Louie, A., Iavarone, A. T., Ajo-Franklin, C. M., & Portnoy, D. A. (2018). A flavin-based extracellular electron transfer mechanism in diverse Gram-positive bacteria. Nature, 562(7725), 140–144. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-018-0498-z
- Sanders, R. (2018, September 12). Gut bacteria’s shocking secret: They produce electricity. Berkeley News. https://news.berkeley.edu/2018/09/12/gut-bacterias-shocking-secret-they-produce-electricity/
- Yasemin Saplakoglu. (2018, September 13). The Bacteria in Your Gut Produce Electricity. Livescience.Com; Live Science. https://www.livescience.com/63569-gut-bacteria-produces-electricity.html
More resources from performer Thom Britton:
- The Seance: https://www.weplaywiththedead.com/
- Thom Britton's website: https://freakshowtell.com/thombritton
- Thom's one-man show, FreakShow & Tell: https://freakshowtell.com/
Subscribe to Curiosity Daily to learn something new every day with Ashley Hamer and Natalia Reagan (filling in for Cody Gough). You can also listen to our podcast as part of your Alexa Flash Briefing; Amazon smart speakers users, click/tap “enable” here: https://www.amazon.com/Curiosity-com-Curiosity-Daily-from/dp/B07CP17DJY
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.