Manage episode 290136765 series 8738
What's it like to have your world turned upside down when you become the parent to your grandchild, niece, or nephew? What are the hidden joys and challenges. In this podcast episode, we have a frank and open talk with a panel of kinship caregivers about their experience.
In this episode, we cover:
- What has been one of the greatest joys you’ve experienced as a kinship caregiver?
- What has been one of the greatest challenges you’ve had in raising your grandchild or niece or nephew?
- How has your age played into your parenting experience with this child?
- How has caring for your grandchild affects your friendships and activities?
- How do you handle the dual roles of being a mom to your grandchild and a mom to your grandchild’s parent? How has kinship caregiving impacted your role as parent to your child?
- Have you had to set boundaries with your child to protect your grandchild?
- How have you handle if your grandchild’s parent has another child? Would you take that child in as well?
- How have you learned about technology, screens, video gaming, etc. in order to parent a child of this younger generation?
This podcast is produced by www.CreatingaFamily.org. We are a national non-profit with the mission to strengthen and inspire adoptive, foster & kinship parents and the professionals who support them. Creating a Family brings you the following trauma-informed, expert-based content:
· Weekly podcasts
· Weekly articles/blog posts
· Resource pages on all aspects of family building
Support the show (https://creatingafamily.org/donation/)